Pre-Op Physical Therapy
The Pre-Op PT Program
The Pre-Op PT program has been developed by Harmeling Physical Therapy to fully educate the pre-op patient about all aspects of upcoming surgery including exercises (both pre- and post-op), how to reduce pain and swelling, goals of physical therapy, and crutch/walker use if applicable.
The goal is to manage the patient's expectations and carefully outline the patient's responsibilities. By doing so the patient is a more active, involved, confident participant in the rehabilitation process.
Pre-Op PT is great for:
- Knee, shoulder and hip replacements
- ACL reconstruction surgery
- Rotator cuff repairs
- Back surgery
What is the process?
- One to two visits before surgery
- Detailed evaluation performed
- Thorough explanation/education provided
- All questions answered
- Home exercises taught
- Practice with crutches/walker
- Post-surgery process carefully reviewed
- Post-surgery rehabilitation scheduled (based on surgeon's protocol)
Contact us today to learn more about our Pre-Op PT program.
"Before surgery I learned from my therapist what was going on with my shoulder and what I could expect after surgery. This educational experience was great because everything happened just as I expected and after several weeks of therapy I recovered the function in my shoulder."
--Jane Nicholson, Patient